I wanted to create a printable solar system model, something that I could print and put together easily to show my son what planets are in the solar system, which ones are closer or further from the sun and from us and which one is the biggest or the smallest. I chose not to use an actual scale, otherwise it would have been hard to make it printable, but I still tried to give an idea of the different sizes. I also tried to replicate as much as possible the actual colors of the planets as we see them from the earth, to create a realistic effect without using the actual pictures. Here is the result:
Here is how to recreate this simple solar system model:
1) print the free hi-res jpg on cardstock with a color printer (click here for the planets and the arms);
2) cut out the planets and the arms;
3) with a pointy knife or the tip of the scissors make a hole in the center of the sun and on one end of the arms; if you want you can also make a hole on the other hand of the arms and in the center of every single planet, but this is optional;
4) place a metal brad in the middle of the sun and connect all the arms to it before opening it;
5) place the planets at the end of every arm with tape, or with their own brad if you made the holes for it in step 3;
i love your stuff here!
Thank you so much for this! This is exactly what I needed!!!!
We have 3 more days in tell school is out for summer berak
thank you, I have used this with my son
i really love this. its very simple to handle
I am teaching a small KG homeschool group about the planets and needed a quick and easy craft. The only change I made in photoshop was to put nice big block letters on the ‘sticks’ so that they can recognize the words and read it more easily. Otherwise this was amazing and a wonderful resource. Thank you!!!
Great! I love it. Many thanks 🙂
just stumbled across your page…. Thank You!!!! Love it….
Thank you!! I needed this for my 6 years old school project.
Thank you so much for this craft, kids love it and its easy and simple.
Thank you! I love it!
I plan to use this an seat work for my students tomorrow morning! Thank you for creating this and sharing this with the masses! What a wonderful and crafty idea! I am sure the students will enjoy creating these models in their journals! 🙂
Thank you for sharing this! Just finished cutting out 9 sets! Whew!
Infinity And Beyond Inner and outer space..
Thank You for creating this craft. I am using this with a Multiply Impaired/Life Skills class. My students enjoyed making this. Some of them took a second day to finish, but they were thrilled to be able to move the planets when they finished. Thanks again.
I am so glad you enjoyed it! I would love to see a photo of your students with it!
how do i print this? everytime i click it sends me to a junk page
You have to click on the links where it says ” click here to print the plantes and arms”. Let me know if it works!
Thank you for creating this!
is this to scale though?
No, it isn’t to scale.